How to Change Your Name With the University


Students, faculty, and staff can update both their legal and preferred name in UAH systems when necessary.

Steps for Legal Name Changes

Students, faculty, and staff who need to request a change to their legal name, legal sex, or date of birth in UAH records must do so in person at the appropriate office.

Faculty & Staff

In order to change your name on your personnel and payroll records, you must present an original legal document that reflects your new name to the Human Resources Office, which is located in room 102 of Shelbie King Hall. You can call them at 256-824-6545 or email them at


In order to change your name on your student records, you must present an original legal document that reflects your new name to the Registrar's Office in room 120 of the Student Services Building. You can call them at 256-824-7777 or email them at

Student Employees

If you are an employee and a student, please update your records with Human Resources and the Office of the Registrar.

Which Legal Documents Are Accepted?

Examples of accepted legal documents include: Driver's license, marriage or divorce record, military records and passport. A new social security card can be obtained through your local Social Security Administration Office. Please bring an original legal document reflecting your new name to support your request for the name change.

my Social Security allows you to update your Social Security Card information.

Steps for Preferred Name Changes

Students, faculty, and staff have the ability to change their preferred name in the Personal Information page. Learn how to access the Personal Information page to update your information. This name will be what is displayed on Canvas, DegreeWorks, and some other identification. 

For information on changing your displayed name in your Google Account, please visit

To request a change to your email alias, visit and login. Then, click the My Email tab. Enter the alias (what precedes the @ sign) you wish to use, check it's available, and submit your request for an available new email alias. Your new alias will replace your existing one (so future email messages addressed to your original email alias will bounce).

For further assistance with updating your preferred name, please contact the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.

Still Need Help?

If you need help completing these steps or experience an issue along the way, please contact the OIT Help Desk!

Print Article


Article ID: 151749
Tue 10/11/22 10:42 AM
Mon 11/13/23 4:09 PM

Related Articles (3)

Instructions on how faculty, staff and students can change their UAH Directory information
Instructions for how to change your contact information in Banner.
Instructions for how to change your security questions in Banner.

Related Services / Offerings (1)

Read about the features of the OIT Portal.